888 Casino debuted in 1997, and since then they’ve managed to transform themselves into an award-winning provider of casino games, bingo, poker, and sportsbetting. Licensed by the Gibraltar Gaming Authority, they have over 20 million registered users and are traded on the London Stock Exchange. Residents of New Jersey are eligible for play, but gamblers from the rest of the United States are not accepted.
Pros – Reasons to Play at 888 Casino
If you’re looking for reasons to open an account with 888 Casino, please consider the following:
Gaming Diversity – Most casinos rely on a single software provider, which means a number of other sites are going to offer the same selection. That’s not the case with 888, as they employ elements of the following: WagerWorks, Net Entertainment, PartyGaming, Blueprint Gaming, Random Logic, Cryptologic, Games OS, Electracade, Endemol Games, and NextGen. This adds up to a distinct selection that can’t be found anywhere else.
Industry Awards – Some players put more emphasis on recognition within the industry than others, but these kinds of accolades can never hurt when establishing the quality of a casino. Here are just a few of the recent awards presented to 888 Casino:
- Best Digital Operator – 2014 Global Gaming Awards
- Best Online Casino – 2012 ICE Awards
- Casino Operator of the Year – 2013 eGR Awards
- Operator of the Year – 2013 eGR Awards
- Poker Operator of the Year – 2013 eGR Awards
- Most Socially Responsible Operator – 2010 eGR Awards
Multiple Languages Supported – We’ve all encountered casinos that only provide one language, but that’s not the case with 888. As befits their status as a global gaming operator, they support 16 languages including English, Spanish, Chinese, Russian, French, Japanese, and German.
Mobile Gaming – Enjoy all your favorite 888 Casino games on the go with mobile apps for the Apple and Android platforms. A few taps on the screen are all it takes to play, although the selection of games is significantly reduced.
Available to US Players – Legal online gambling is trickling back into the United States, with several states now allowing gaming for players within their geographical borders. 888 Casino has been licensed by the state of New Jersey, which is a step in the right direction.
Bonuses and Promotions – The last time I checked, 888 Casino had 16 different bonuses and promotions listed on their website. Most of these are in line with industry standards, but the sheer volume of possibilities is worth noticing.
For those who like to refer friends and earn money, I noticed that their referral awards program is worth double that of most competitors. In addition, the new player receives an additional $50 as part of their welcome package.
Cons – Reasons You Might Avoid 888 Casino
For those who need something to worry about, here are a few possible negatives associated with 888 Casino:
Player Restrictions – While players inside of New Jersey are eligible to gamble, everyone else in the United States is excluded for the moment. In addition to American restrictions, 888 Casino also refuses customers from the following nations: Australia, France, Denmark, Hong Kong, Puerto Rico, and a number of others. I’m sure residents of Iran and Afghanistan have more pressing matters to worry about than gambling legalities, but it’s still something to take into account.
Complaints – There are a number of online complaints involving 888 Casino. For example, a 2013 complaint by “beechalan” at AskGamblers indicated that the site shut down his account and never provided a reason. Closer examination of their site shows that 55 complaints have been issued on the site against 888, with only 24 of them being resolved.
A 2010 Casinomeister complaint indicates a tendency to bend the rules when it comes to payouts. A poster named “Sodan10” related an experience where the published policy from 888 seemed to differ from their official stance.
888 also received a dubious honor when Casinomeister named them “Biggest Disappointment of 2012” during their annual online awards. This distinction was shared with Betfair, although I doubt representatives from either company dropped by to pick up their virtual trophy.
It should also be noted that sites like Casinomeister and Wizard of Odds do not include 888 Casino on their accredited or recommended lists. Since they’re also not blacklisted, this leaves them somewhat in limbo in regards to their reputation among those who cover the online gaming industry for a living.
888 Casino offers 105 different slots games, and each game features crystal-clear sound and quality graphics that almost leap right off your screen. Thanks to their relationship with multiple software providers, you can also count on a truly unique selection.
In addition to their normal supply of games, 888 Casino offers exclusive slots that can’t be found anywhere else. There are 38 of these, according to their website, and the following should give you an idea of what to expect:
- Evangelion – Based on the popular Japanese animated series about giant suits of armor battling monsters.
- Panda Manga – Cute animals and martial arts in the vein of Kung Fu Panda.
- Gringos Dineros – You’ll feel like you’ve been transported to the Old West.
- Bollywood Bonanza – Captures the sights and sounds of an Indian movie.
- Superman – Leap tall buildings in a single bound while fighting alongside the world’s most well-known superhero.
- Wonder Woman – Team up with the comic book Amazon to win huge prizes.
- A Nightmare on Elm Street – Can you survive an encounter with legendary slasher Freddy Krueger?
- Bloodlines – Features sexy and dangerous vampires.
- The Great War – Take to the skies in a biplane during World War One.
- Snack Time – Satisfy your sweet tooth with their colorful slot.
I happen to be a sucker for licensed games. In case you don’t know, I’m talking about movies, television shows, or some other type of property that’s been adapted into a slot machine. Several of these were included in the list above, but 888 Casino has plenty more. Here are a few examples:
- South Park – The Comedy Central series allows you to enjoy a team-up with Stan, Kyle, Cartman, and even Kenny.
- The Price Is Right – Based on the TV game show, allowing contestants to compete for cash and prizes.
- Cluedo – Solve the murder of Mr. Body in this adaptation of the board game that North Americans refer to as
- Clash of the Titans – Join the son of Zeus on an epic quest to save the world.
- Batman – Patrol the streets of Gotham City and win cash along the way.
One of the most impressive features at 888 Casino is their selection of progressive jackpots. While most sites have a dozen or fewer such games, there are 21 currently offered by 888. There’s even a handy sidebar that keeps up-to-the-second details on the value of the top jackpots. In order to give you an idea of what to expect, here’s what those totals looked like the last time I visited. Note: all values are expressed in British pounds.
- Super Cubes – 691,128.07
- Millionaire Genie – 534,067.26
- Cashdrop – 238,540.43
- Chain Reactors – 173,501.68
- Leprechaun Luck – 92,133.87
- Adventures in Wonderland – 81,637.11
- Gold Rush Showdown – 73,851.35
- Gin Joint – 73,851.53
- Once Upon a Dime – 20,513.03
The popularity of bingo never fails to surprise me, and the 888 Ladies site offers plenty of gaming opportunities for members of both sexes. There are three types of play available, including:
- 90 Ball Bingo – Combines the classic version of the game with a thriving social scene. Cheat while you play and make new friends or reconnect with old acquaintances.
- 75 Ball Bingo – In this version of the game, fill in special patterns and unlock generous jackpots.
- 5 Line Bingo – Also known as “Swedish Bingo,” this game is fast-paced and allows you to cover the lines horizontally or vertically.
Specials and promos are offered throughout the day, and most games are combined with a chat feature. These chat rooms all have a different theme or title, including “Nutty Ninety,” “Glam and Gorgeous,” and “Studio 75.” For those who thrive on social interaction, playing bingo at 888 Ladies is a great way to get your fix.
While 888 Casino has fewer games than most of their competitors, they emphasize quality over quantity. No matter which option you choose, you can be certain that it will be presented with state-of-the-art clarity and attention to detail.
Blackjack options are broken up into the following:
- High Limit
- Spanish 21
Each type of game has multiple tables available, with each carrying a different table limit to meet the financial needs of customers.
According to their site, their payout for roulette is 97.13%. Since they offer multiple versions of the game, though, it’s unclear which one they’re referring to. They also claim to offer better odds than Las Vegas.
Here are the options available to customers:
- 3D Roulette
- French Roulette
- Low Stakes Roulette
- Roulette Pro
- American Roulette
- French Roulette High Limit
- American Roulette High Limit
- European Roulette
Live dealers are also available, which is always a welcome change from the impersonal solitude of one-on-one gaming. While the dealer can’t see you, it’s still the next best thing to actually being in a land-based casino. If this option sounds appealing, you can choose from the following games (with both male and female dealers):
- Roulette (includes higher stakes for VIP players)
- Blackjack (side bets are also available, as well as VIP betting options)
- Casino Hold’em
- Baccarat (and the VIP version of the game)
- Immersive Roulette
- London Roulette
- Sports Roulette
In addition to slots, bingo, and casino games, the site also offers a bookmaking feature. New customers can receive up to $88 in free wagers, as well as numerous free promotions offered every day of the week. Their mobile app allows you to wager while sitting in the dentist’s office, and you can choose from thousands of markets across the globe.
For those who crave excitement, there’s also the live betting feature. Instead of placing your wager at the beginning of a match, you can engage in live-play speculation based on the current flow of the contest. If you sense a rally brewing in the latter part of the game, test your instincts for a chance to walk away with a bundle.
All of the most popular forms of poker are offered in the 888 card room, and you’ll be impressed by the number and type of tournaments that are available. As for formats, the following are available:
- Freerolls – Free tournaments that are ideal for beginners.
- Heads Up – Play one-on-one, with the winner walking away with 100% of the pot.
- Satellites – Win this event and move on to an even bigger tournament.
- Sit and Go’s – A tournament that’s confined to a single table with rapidly increasing blinds.
- Multi-Table – The same format used during the main event at the World Series of Poker.
Here’s a look at a few of the innovate tournaments that are offered throughout the week at 888 Poker.
- The Mega Deep – The $215 buy-in gets you 10,000 chips, and the prize pool is a guaranteed $100,000. Blind levels increase every 30 minutes, and the tournament is held each Sunday.
- The Mega Micro – Great for those on a budget, this low-stakes tournament costs $3 to enter and has a guaranteed prize pool of $3,000. Blinds increase every seven minutes, and each participant gets 5,000 chips to wager on No Limit Texas Hold’em.
- The Whale – Meant for serious players with deep pockets, this daily tournament costs $530 to enter but pays out a guaranteed prize pool of $200,000. No Limit Hold’em is the name of the game, and blind levels rise every 25 minutes.
- The Monsoon – A No Limit Hold’em tournament that costs $55 to enter and is held daily. Everyone starts with 5,000 chips, and blind levels increase every 10 minutes. Offers a guaranteed prize pool of $15,000.
- The Twister – A daily No Limit tournament with a $55 buy-in and guaranteed prize pool of $5,000. Players begin with 5,000 chips, and blind levels increase every 10 minutes. Eliminated players get one rebuy, as long as they are eliminated within the first two hours of the game.
There’s a lot to like about 888 Casino, including a diverse selection of games and almost every type of gambling opportunity known to man. They’ve been in business for a long time, and their award-winning history speaks well of their dedication to customer satisfaction. However, the fact that leading watchdog and review sites take a rather lukewarm stance on 888 is concerning. I still recommend giving them a try, but approach your gaming session with caution.